Booknik.ru is a unique Russian-language internet portal focusing on the full gamut of Jewish life and thought: Jewish and Israeli history, religion, society, and ideas, Jewish literature, art, music and culture, Jewish people and places, Jewish philosophy, ethics, and the Jewish spirit, with a separate site section for children and family reading.
Since Booknik’s launch in July 2006, monthly visitor traffic (all statistics are based on Google Analytics) has grown from 6,000 monthly visitors to a combined total of over 490,400 visitors per month (more precisely, in the month preceding April 2010, there were 356,843 monthly visitors to Booknik’s main site, in comparison to 287,984 in the month preceding October 2009; and an additional 133,558 monthly visitors to Family Booknik, in comparison to 58,995 in the month preceding October 2009.) With the idea birthed by Sergey Kuznetsov, who heads one of Russia’s largest companies for online community building, and his colleagues (many of whom include educators from the Department of Jewish Studies at Moscow State, Sefer, and other AVI CHAI-supported programs) – and with the continued expansion of Booknik’s breadth and depth, Booknik’s visitor traffic has significantly surpassed projected monthly goals which had hoped, at the time of the initial 2006 proposal, to reach 275,000 monthly visitors only in 2012.
Other Programs in this Category:
- Booknik’s Social Networking Efforts
- Creating/Expanding Jewish Book Collections in the FSU
- Eshkol: Ongoing Programs Focusing on Jewish Literature, Culture, and Jewish Families
- Eshkolot: A New Educational Initiative in Moscow
- Jewish and Israeli Book Fairs
- Publication of Books on Jewish Themes in the Russian Language: Fiction, Non-Fiction, and an Illustrated Jewish Book Series for Children and Families